Sunday, November 20, 2016

play

someone asked me once:

why do you play like this, why
did you not leave it to children
and remember that you have a
certain elevated place now and must
put away the things of your youth?

and i could not answer him with
any honesty except with a shrug
and a blush of shame and i'm sure
my silence was the answer he wanted
or expected

the way some teachers, who question their
own life choices and are soured by them,
can turn on their students with a maligning
condescension that relieves their dismal
self loathing, at least for a bitter moment

and after some time of reflection and
reconsidering, of probing my intentions
and giving due consideration to his
inquest and feeling generally bad about myself
i went outside and breathed in the air

and i awoke day after day and kissed my wife
and embraced our children; fed our dogs and
went to work and watched television and
wept over the loss of a brother and laughed
to myself about something that was not funny

and i bled from the prick of a splinter
and i sweated when the gas tank got too low
miles from town and i called my mother to
wish her happy birthday and i got angry
and then remembered i'd forgotten something

and the world contracted upon me in a sudden
breath and i was crushed by the weight of it
until my wife said she loved me and then it all
expanded again, with a new knowledge and
with a new wonderment and with a different shade

and the question of the man went from me for months and
then came back, as if it were something placed in a bottle
tossed to sea, only to return in its glass chamber sparkling,
the reflection from the sun burning my eyes so that i had to
pick it up and remove the message

why do you play like this, why
did you not leave it to children
and remember that you have a
certain elevated place now and must
put away the things of your youth?

it accused me once more

and pocketing the question i went for a
walk and tread upon dirt roads and paved
roads in the rain and snow, the wind in my
face and at my back, the swell of a storm
that pushed me into the woods

i found a structure, a form, made of you
and others like you, all of whom in arm and facing
each other in such a way that felt familiar
a form, this structure, of a power and understanding
that willed me to rejoin

in a dark room, with a stage, and lit in such a way that
felt real. you and your faces and your lives
and your work and your children and your pets
and your schooling and your tears and your fears
and your bleeding and your laughing

you and you all, like me and with me,
knowing that i do this as you do this,
not for a way to run toward youth again
and leave behind life but rather to
face life head on and seek truth

the form we make in this place
in this dark room with its lights
and its make believe and with our
voices not our own in costume
is a way that we understand

i play

because


i live

0 comments:

Post a Comment