Thursday, April 30, 2015

no rest


my son, he jumps off his bike
that his legs and arms are still too small to master
and he bounds across the road
I'll just run instead!
he battle-cries and
gallops uproad toward siblings
his abandonment is a
retreat, a falling-back
from a relentless gravity
that has pulled him, since birth, away
and up an incline
toward something that is not me
on this day,
i love the bike-tossing
for its rebellion against what I hate
this giving-up fills me
with a joy
for a child's world of non-betrayals
a place where he (therefore i)
can do what pleases him (yes, i);
free of the stone-throwers
i love the boy
for giving up just
this one time
and how he comes back
downroad at me smiling
and dodges an imaginary whatever
bounding into a ditch
tumbling head-over;
his body tossing dirt and sand
at rest he scares me
the way a stopped sun
would blow up my heart
he needs to be at-speed
for when he does find rest
he will be gone from me fast

0 comments:

Post a Comment